Roos rumbled by Pigeons

The Round Six “Rumble on the River” between Yarrawonga and Corowa Rutherglen on Sunday proved to be a thrilling match that went down to the wire. Pictured is Kaelan Bradtke competing for the ball. Named one of the best on ground, Kaelan scored five goals.

All Photos by Simon Ginns.

Super Sunday lived up to the hype as Corowa-Rutherglen took on old rivals Yarrawonga at John Foord Oval in front of a large crowd over the weekend.

The thrilling ‘Rumble on the River’ went down to the wire as the Roos and the Pigeons fought out a competitive and physical game.

In true cliff-hanger style, a gutsy Roos outfit battled hard until the final siren, but the Pigeons came away with a narrow 7-point win.

The game began with the Pigeons taking immediate control. Their precise ball movement and clean skills left the Roos shell-shocked as they raced to a four-goal lead early in the quarter.

Matt Wilson puts the kick in.

The Roos were able to regroup later in the quarter with goals to Kaelan Bradtke and Jarred Lane. The game was shaping as a physical affair with both teams attacking the ball hard. The Roos went to quarter time 2.2.14 to the Pigeons 5.2.32.

After the break, the Roos were able to continue their work in winning the ball at the stoppages and using their outside runners to good effect.

Daniel Saunders tackles a Pigeon opponent.

In defence Joe and Bill Hansen together with Cody Howard were working hard to repel the Pigeons forward moves. The contest evened up as Tom Goodwin continued his heavy work at the centre bounces and Jy Lane ran hard to work the ball into attack.

Later in quarter the Roos were struck by a quick succession of injuries which forced some quick thinking on the bench as the structures were rearranged.

Jarred Lane’s long kicking was beginning to open up the forward line and the Roos got busy around the ground, fighting their way back into the game.

The Roos went in at half-time with a 2-point lead, 6.4.40 to 6.2.38.

Roos Vice-Captain Hayden Filliponi’s massive collision with a Pigeon’s opponent saw him stretchered off the field and taken to Corowa Hospital.

The third quarter momentum went with the Pigeons as their tall, strong marking forwards took full advantage of their mid-field delivery. The Roos only scored one goal for the quarter. The limited bench rotations appeared to be having an impact.

The Roos went into the three-quarter time break trailing by 19 points, 7.4.46 to 10.5.65.

Roos coach, Peter German, emphasised the importance of composure in the final time and the fact that the game was very winnable.

The last quarter began with the Roos taking charge of the contest. Jarryd Hatton was providing a physical presence around the ball as players across the ground took the game on with run and dare.

Joe Hansen was in good form on the weekend.

Quick ball movement into the forward line had Kaelan Bradtke one-out against the Pigeon defence. Consequently, he kicked three goals in a 4-minute period to get the Roos within a point.

It was game-on as the arm-wrestle continued, every contest was crucial as the time clock ticked down. Joe Hansen and Cody Howard continued to run the ball out of defence preventing any Pigeon shots on goal. The Roos small brigade of Cameron Wilson, Hayden Filliponi, Damien Wilson and Charlie Nastasi were winning the ball in the midfield.

Jason Marks gets the ball away.

A late surge by the Pigeons saw them score a vital goal to win the closely contested game by 7-points.

Final scores: Roos 10.6.66 to the Pigeons 11.7.73.

Best players: Jarred Lane (3 goals), Kaelan Bradtke (5 goals) Jy Lane, Jarryd Hatton, Cody Howard, and Bill Hansen.

Corowa Rutherglen currently fifth on the ladder behind Myrtleford (4th), Albury (3rd), Yarrawonga (2nd) and Wangaratta (1st).

The dynamic Cameron Wilson in action for the Roos.

Mulwala WaterSki Club

Match Day Sponsors, Mulwala WaterSki Club, provided a Best on Ground award and a generous voucher for football and netball. Congratulations to Grace Senior and Jarred Lane, on their outstanding performances against the Pigeons.


The Reserves were outclassed by a very talented line up from Yarrawonga.

Corowa Rutherglen met a formidable opponent in the Yarrawonga Pigeons who had a spread of talented younger players and experienced senior players to contend with in the Reserves game.

Despite the efforts of the Roos players, they were no match for the opposition who moved the ball with plenty of run and good ball use.

Once again top-up players from the thirds were required, these boys acquitted themselves well in open-age competition. Best players included Jamie Seymour, Kade Kuschert, Jesse Johnstone, Mak Lavis, Luke Backhouse and Matt Gould.

Under 18s

The under 18 Roos continued to play a strong disciplined brand of football to come away with a 24-point win and are now 4 -2 for the season.

A great all round team effort on Sunday by the Roos, with their second win in a row. In front of a big home crowd, it was a fairly tight game with the Roos just keeping in front most of the day, until Yarrawonga gained a little momentum in the third quarter and led at three quarter time by five points.

In a great display of determination and teamwork, the boys came out firing and piled on six goals to one in the final term to win end up winning by twenty-four points.

Final Score – Corowa Rutherglen 13.6.84 to Yarrawonga 9.6.60

Goals – R. Beveridge 5, J. Longmire 3, P. Lavis 2.

Best – Z. Nash, M. Bush, J. Johnstone, E. Hanrahan, H. Kay

Nash Lavis winning a hit out in the third’s blockbuster match.

Volunteer of the Week

Once again, the club honoured one of its long-standing volunteers, this week was Matt Witherden. Matt has been a 200+ game player for the club. He has performed a number of roles at the club since his retirement. Currently, Matt is the coordinator of the Auskick program. Well done, Matt!

This week

This Saturday, May 21, the Roos travel to Wangaratta to tackle Wangaratta Rovers in what will be another challenge for thefootballers and netballers.

The Auskick kids take to the field at half-time.
The Auskick kids take to the field at half-time.