This year's Winton SuperSprints faces an uncertain future after it was announced this month's event would be postponed a second time.
The news comes as COVID-19 restrictions again tighten in Victoria and the Queensland government closes its border to residents travelling and returning from the southern state.
Queenslanders would need to follow strict quarantine guidelines of 14 days when returning to their home state, which poses difficulties for three QLD-based Supercars teams.
While Benalla Rural City currently has no confirmed active cases of coronavirus, these restrictions cover the whole of Victoria.
The event was scheduled to run from July 18-19 with no spectators present, though a return to Winton later this year could still on the cards, with the event only officially postponed and not cancelled.
With a gap now in the calendar, Supercars Australia has confirmed the series will return to Sydney Motorsport Park instead, where it resumed the series last weekend.
Supercars CEO Sean Seamer said the decision to return to Eastern Creek for a second consecutive round was a logical one.
“Following discussions with all government health authorities on the new interstate restrictions, the practicable solution is to go back to Sydney Motorsport Park later this month,” Seamer said.
“Sydney Motorsport Park was a logical choice as we have a proven track record of completing a safe event there based on what we achieved last week.
The Sydney SuperSprint will be a part-day, part-night event, with a limited crowd expected to be in attendance.
No other events on Supercars’ revised calendar have been amended at this stage, though all events remain subject to change based on COVID-19 guidelines and protocols.