Victorian Open | singles update

By Alex Mitchell

With 32 players left in the men's and women's Victorian Open singles, the Goulburn Valley remains a chance to a winner in either draw.

Stanhope's Tim Hancock produced one of Saturday's biggest talking points, knocking off rising star Jarryd Davies 21-16 to reach the fourth knockout round.

Hancock had won against Upwey Tecoma's Chris Green 21-12 to reach the third round.

It is the second straight year Hancock has earned a giant-killing reputation, having rolled Australian international Matt Flapper on his way to the last 16 of last year's Open.

Tallygaroopna's Matt Robertson also remains alive heading into the fourth round, having beaten Bundoora RSL's Jack Woodhouse (21-12) and Whittlesea's Kyle Williams (21-16) in knockout play.

Shepparton Golf coach Brad Orr and Shepparton Park's Paul Warren were other GV products to make the third round, but results from their matches were not available at the time of print.

East Shepparton's Geoff Franze reached the second knockout round, but he could not stay with Lilydale's Josh Sanders, beaten 21-8.

Mooroopna's Glenn Thatcher was unlucky to fall in the second round, going down to Rich River's Trevor Nagorcka 21-17.

And East's Bailey Leask was also unable to get out of the second round, losing 21-14 to Hawthorn's Matt Ottobre.

Fourth round matches begin on Wednesday, with Hancock slated to play Caulfield Park's Cameron Bell and Robertson drawn to play Yarraville-Footscray's Nelson Ball.

On the women's side of the draw, Mooroopna's Stacey Collier is flying the GV flag, through to the round of 16.

Collier won against Hong Kong's Bonny Cheung (21-10) and Glenroy's Jordan Long (21-11) to reach the fourth round.

Stanhope's Jenny Crilly also made the third round, but proved no match for Lake Boga's Lisa Critten once there, falling 21-1.

Shepparton Park's Kate Bush had a bye through to the second round, but fell to MCC's Anne Draffen 20-18.

Kyabram's Olivia Cartwright also progressed with a bye, but lost a thriller in the second round, going down to Timboon's Gill Vorwerk 21-19.

Euroa's Margaretha Cerini fell to Yarraville-Footscray's Robyn Barker by a single shot in the second round.

Shepparton Park's Di Hands won through to the second round where she was scheduled to face Highton's Wendy Ballentine, but results of that match were unavailable.

Women's singles continues on Wednesday.