News

Safety campaign against theft

by
November 08, 2017

Mitchell Shire Council has secured funding to roll out an awareness campaign to help residents protect themselves from would-be thieves.

Council has received a $9100 grant from the Victorian Department of Justice and Regulation’s Community Safety Fund for Operation: Remove, Lock or Lose.

The community awareness campaign will begin in 2018 and will include forums hosted by South Mitchell Neighbourhood Watch and Victoria Police to discuss safety beginning in the home, as well as the importance of removing valuables from vehicles and locking vehicles to prevent theft.

Mitchell Shire Mayor Rhonda Sanderson said the campaign would detail some proactive steps residents could take to protect themselves from opportunistic thieves.

‘‘The program that ran earlier this year was well received. By placing large posters with safety tips in high traffic areas such as train stations and shops, residents got the message that they needed to remove valuables from their vehicles in order to deter thieves,’’ she said.

‘‘The community forums will provide invaluable information for residents on how to make their homes and vehicles as safe as possible.’’

By
More in The Telegraph
Login Sign Up

Dummy text