Juniors doing it tough in wintry conditions

August 10, 2017



In the worst conditions of the year, the under-12s toughed it out against Broadford for a solid win in wet conditions.

The game started at a frenetic pace and it was clear Tabilk was switched on.

We were first to the ball on most occasions and when we didn’t have it, Broadford were quickly wrapped up in tough tackles.

Angus ‘The Engine Room’ Murray was busy all day again today.

He revelled in the wet conditions and got the team on the scoreboard with their first goal in the first quarter.

The backline was under enormous pressure early but Harry ‘Don’t Argue’ Palmer rebounded the ball off half back.

Harry continues to read the ball well and his work ethic was as good as it has been all year.

Harry was well assisted down back by Joel ‘Macho Man’ Mills.

Joel was disciplined and played in front all day and led his opponent to the ball on many occasions. Well done Joel.

Harry Wall was extremely busy in the first half.

The Bulldozer has just realised how strong he is and has made a pact with his team to start throwing his strength around.

You could hear bodies being crunched from the boundary line as Harry smashed and crashed his way through packs and laid some strong tackles.

Well done Harry — we love The Bulldozer.

It was great to see Eli ‘Bucket’ Reid run into some real form.

Eli has missed much of the season with a broken wrist but came out and was terrific for the team up forward.

He took some great grabs, was tough around the contests, and his tackling was superb.

Other magical moments from Sunday’s game were Seb Costa’s miraculous goal (his first), Finbar O’Sullivan’s enormous tackle which saved a certain goal from being scored and Ari Logus’ great mark down forward which set up a goal for Kane Chapman.

Somaiya Harriden’s continued determination around the footy was again on display all day and for her efforts she took home the grizzly award.

The team is in terrific form at the right end of the season and are chomping at the bit in readiness for this week’s first final against Yea.

There are some great pics of the game from Renate Abra — check them out on Facebook.

Score: Tabilk 4.8 (32) d Broadford 2.2 (14).

Best: Harry Palmer, Angus Murray, Eli Reid, Nathan Whitling, Finbar O’Sullivan, Joel Mills, Will Le Deux, Harry Wall, Ari Logus, Somaiya Harriden.

Goals: Eli Reid, Kane Chapman, Seb Costa, Angus Murray.


Sunday brought the weather for all seasons — rain, hail and sunshine.

The ground was under water but the top two on the ladder was set to be a hard match.

The first quarter was more like a soccer match, with both sides kicking the ball along the ground to keep it moving.

T. Barnes kicked one goal early to help the cause, but the pouring rain didn’t make things any easier.

Going into the second quarter the rain did not let up.

Getting Kev to run down to the rowing club to borrow a canoe so we could get from one side on the ground to another was an option, but Janine would not hold the umbrella up for him so that option did not work.

Our green lantern could not hide that well at the back of the box and ended up as wet as the team out on the field, and with a soaked cloak he kept flying in and out.

Huddled under the shelter or in the car was the best place to be, but it also saw a great team effort putting on another four goals with Broadford only kicking one.

The rain stopped and the sun came out going into the third quarter, but by that stage with chattering teeth and a foot of water over the ground, the players were frozen with both teams doing it tough in the conditions.

The slimy, wet, heavy ball was hard work to mark and kick but the effort and determination from both sides kept the ball moving in both directions, making it a great contest.

Going into the fourth with only 18 fit players, our little under-12 Kane Chapman stepped up, doing some great assists to put more goals on the board.

Thanks Kane, much appreciated.

It was a great team effort all round, and we finished a fantastic home-and-away season on top of the ladder.

But the job’s not finished; bring on the finals.

Thanks to sponsors the Royal Mail, the Coach Shop and Billy Burgers.

Best: J. Robertson, N. Glentzes, H. May.

Goals: J. Moore 3; O. Sepulveda 2; J. Robertson, T. Barnes, S. McMaster.


After our last game for the year, thanks to all the boys for a fun year.

We may have only sung the song on a couple of occasions but I could not have been more proud of the way you conducted yourself during the season.

I also want to thank the parents who were part of our team.

To Trevor Cubbin, my team manager, who is always one step ahead of what needs to be done.

To Paul and Fiona Robinson who acted as runner and trainer.

To my main water boys Alan Dawson and Brad Gladwin (I think these boys got the best seats in the house as they were often seen together discussing the game not far from the centre square), and to our newest addition, Kylie Chapman, who did our time keeping for the year.

Thank you — we couldn’t have prepared the boys so well without you.

This week’s game was a slog.

Once again the boys really gave a strong effort, but unfortunately we just could not take our chances in front of goal and that cost us in the end.

I think Lachy Russell hopes it rains forever because the conditions suited his hard, straight-forward style and he was unbelievable the whole day.

Tom Garner was in everything again and was helped ably by Corey Chapman and Mitchell Lusted.

The backline was solid as per normal with great games from Joseph, Lachy Robo, Josh Boyer and Jedd, while Harry did well in the ruck.

We had cameos from Bardy, Mitchell Berens and Jack Sampson during the day.

The goal kicking teetered on a knife’s edge after Kieran got one early.

But both leaders missed chances in the second half that would have seen them win this year’s goal kicking.

Trent played his 100th game — great job keeping track.

We missed a few of injured players in Dan, Darcy and Cain.

Cain almost did himself in running on the slippery wet ground — better bring your boots next time.

Lachy Russell took home the North East Antenna award and the Neil Beer award went to Will Cubbin.

Cubbo had a cracking second half in those flash green boots.

He channelled his inner Hulk and showed how strong and determined he can be.

A really good way to finish his junior football off at Tabilk.

To the boys in their last game for the club, thanks for your efforts and I hope you continue on to a senior club in the future.

Oh, and Jayden Sanderson, start eating more because I need you to grow into a ruckman by next season.

- Stephen Garner



The young Sainters braved the wind, sleet and cold on the weekend to meet the Euroa kids for the final under-10 game of the season.

With a muddy and slippery ground, and a nail-biting cold temperature, the team battled hard all through the game to walk off with heads held high, and a lot of mud to show for it.

Congratulations on a wonderful season.

The following players are to be commended for their dedication and team spirit this year: Henry Billen, Olivia and Charlie D’Orria, Oliver Fulton, Marcus and Oliver Kingston, Jack and Ryan Lindner, Eric Parker, Jayden Pert, Rogan Puppa, Issac Smith, Blake and Jaiden Trodd, Joshua Vearing, Owen Jenkins and Bailey Harris.

A big thanks to Pauline Psaila for team management (and yummy oranges during the game breaks), Mark Smith and James Fulton for assisting on training nights, and Andrew Collard for assisting in the coaching.

Also, a big thanks to McDonalds Seymour on the weekly awards — this is always a highlight to hand out to the players.

Congratulations to all teams on a terrific regular season, with five out of six teams in to the finals.

The finals campaign begins against Euroa at Alexandra on the weekend.

Good luck Sainters.

— Wayne Aldous


Score: Euroa 5.3 (33) d St Mary’s 0.1 (1).


Score: Euroa 5.1 (31) d St Mary’s 3.2 (20).


St Mary’s travelled north this week to take on ladder-leaders Euroa.

It was an anticipated clash for several reasons, being that this was the last match of the home-and-away season, but more importantly it was a top-of-the-table clash between first and second.

Euroa was on top undefeated, and the Saints were second with only one loss, oddly enough coming from the hands of Euroa the last time they met.

The previous week’s game showed the Saints have hit their straps, and proved to themselves that they were up to this week’s task.

Armed with fast and direct ball movement, strong centre clearances and superb team work, the Saints were primed to square the ledger against a side that is currently on their game.

The weather on the other hand had chosen to return to a traditional winter’s day with cold, rain, mud and at times hail.

Due to a couple of outs, and fielding a side of 18 players and no bench, the first quarter would obviously be the setting for the match, as both sides were keen to get on the board early.

It wasn’t long before Euroa was on the board with a traditional soccer off the ground in typical wet weather footy.

However, a quick clearance and a lead from Hudson Kaak saw the big man hit on the chest 20m out, directly in front.

He went back and slotted it home.

A hard-fought contest continued on with a bulk of play being bombed into Euroa’s forward half, putting pressure on St Marys’ defence. Corey Jones led by example, strongly aided by Matthew Collard and Hamish Mehmet, and the trio cleared the ball well.

A display of rough and tough footy continued for the remainder of the quarter with several points being scored, until Kaak booted a crucial goal off the ground, registering his second and providing an eight-point lead to the Saints at the first break.

The second quarter started similar to the first with Euroa striking the first blow on the scoreboard with a set-shot goal from a free kick.

Clean possessions were difficult because the wet and slippery ground made for plenty of hard ball gets, but at the 15-minute mark, a clean grab from Kaak 25m out from goal saw him pick up his third and move the Saints out to a 10-point lead.

It didn’t take long for the ground to be dug up like the battlefields of Gallipoli, and the unique sounding of Euroa’s air raid siren ended a tough and sometimes brutal first half of footy.

The rain had subsided for the time being, but the hard-fought, contest remained and the Saints’ desire and want for the footy was evident.

The off-the-ground soccer tactics proved to be the only effective clearance as battle for clean possessions became almost unheard of in the third quarter.

A record amount of stoppages made it hard to clear the footy alongside the six inches of slush and mud in most sections of the oval.

A rush behind to each side was the only change to the scoreline with the Saints maintaining the half-time lead of 10 points.

Tired bodies were evident at the three-quarter time huddle from both sides, showing that who ever was to run out the game the fittest would be the victor.

A low-scoring affair was on the cards, and it proved to be the case, with the score line Euroa 14 to St Mary’s 24 with one quarter to go.

The sun had broken through in parts and the fourth was under way, but it would take a month of Sundays to have any effect on the condition of the ground.

As predicted, both sides started the quarter with run and flare and mountains of hard-ball gets and defensive kicks along the ground continued.

Matthew Collard was impressive with his continual hard run and tackling being the main difference in the wing and defensive lines.

Dylan Cook also impressed with selfless acts, throwing everything into his game.

Inspirational pieces of play from Corey Jones down back prevented a certain goal, as Euroa dominated play late in the final term.

With only a few minutes to play the expectations of a close game were confirmed, but the Saints’ defence held strong, conceding only two points in the last quarter to see St Mary’s run out victors by eight points.

It was a fantastic team effort and a tough battle by the boys, giving them confidence going into the finals campaign for 2017.

The victory placed the Saints on top of the ladder at the conclusion of the home and away season.

Score: Euroa 2.5 (17) lt St Mary’s 3.6 (24).

— Pottsy Senior

More in The Telegraph
Login Sign Up

Dummy text